- Student Hub
- Year 9 Guided Choices Information
- WJEC Level 1/ 2 Vocational Award in Sport and Coaching Principles
WJEC Level 1/ 2 Vocational Award in Sport and Coaching Principles
Students who undertake the WJEC Level 1/ 2 Vocational Award in Sport and Coaching Principles need to be interested in careers within the sports industry. The course will give students the knowledge and skills they need to begin their career journey within sport.
Students will complete three units of work as part of the course. Two of these units will be assessed through written coursework and video evidence. The remaining unit will be assessed through a written exam. Full details of the course can be found here.
Expectations of students are extremely high and commitment and dedication will be required along with an ability to work towards deadlines. Students will be expected to complete coursework during lesson time and attend co-curricular sessions where required.
- Unit 1 – Improving Sports Performance – In this unit students will learn about how to improve the performance of a sportsperson. This includes factors that make up effective performance, performance testing and training to improve. This is assessed through written coursework. (30% of total course).
- Unit 2 – Fitness for Sport – In this unit students will learn about how to test and develop the fitness of an athlete. This includes components of fitness, fitness testing, the principles of fitness and fitness training. This is assessed through a written exam that can be taken at the end of Y10 and Y11 (40% of total course).
- Unit 3 – Coaching Principles – In this unit students will learn how to coach effectively and develop their own coaching skills. This will include the skills and responsibilities of a good coach, planning a coaching session, leading a coaching session and reviewing their coaching session. This is assessed through written coursework and video evidence. (30% of course)
Further Education and Career Opportunities:
Variety of Level 3 vocational courses, including in sport and coaching. Sport and coaching vocations.
Please Note: Students who select Physical Education as one of their choices will be placed by the Physical Education department in either GCSE PE or Sport and Coaching Principles Level 1/2 Vocational Award.